Magic Muffin Generator - Jenny's Bakewell Muffins




Welcome to Vegan Mofo 2012! Before I kick off I just want to remind people in the UK about the fabulous monthly Vegan Snack Swap organised by Too Happy Vegans. Here's the package I put together to send to Gail.


Here's the exciting parcel I received from Joel with lots of things I'd not tried before. It also contains a corn facemask which was funny as the day before it arrived I'd decided to do some posts on food as beauty products for some of my Mofo posts. If you want to sign up for this month get over here by the 6th  and put your name down.


So, for week one of Vegan Mofo 2012, here at Tea and Sympatico we have the Magic Muffin Generator, hopefully a way to get your work colleagues excited about vegan cooking. I sent a list of fruits, nuts and flavours etc round last week and asked if they could come up with some flavour combinations that I'd then make into muffins and bring in, a different batch each day. Jenny came up with quite a range and there are some great ideas that I will definitely be trying in the future but for day one on her suggestion here are Bakewell Muffins*


*Check out what Bakewell means

Bakewell Muffins
Makes 12

Ingredients

1 cup of soya milk
1 teaspoon of cider vinegar
1 ¾ cups of plain flour
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
¾ cup of sugar
½ cup of sunflower oil
2 teaspoons of almond extract
100g diced marzipan (make sure it doesn't contain egg)
12 teaspoons of raspberry jam
Flaked almonds to sprinkle on top

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/ 400F/ Gas 6
Add the vinegar to the milk in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.

In a separate bowl sieve the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and stir well. Make a well in the middle and then pour in the milk mixture, oil and almond extract and give it a few stirs.

As it starts to combine fold in the marzipan. Stir until it just comes together. Don't over mix. Fill each muffin case about a third of the way up with the batter. Add a teaspoon of raspberry jam to the centre of the batter. Cover the jam with more batter. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Recipe by Caroline Turner


Comments

  1. Ooh I love the idea of Bakewell muffins - thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you high five whoever put bakewell muffins on the magic muffin generator - that's an inspired choice. I love bakewell tarts, I love muffins, you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through Vegan MoFo! I'm currently living in Toronto, but I'm moving to London in January 2013. Delighted to see that there's such a community of English vegans! I'm using VMoFo as an opportunity to "research" all the best places/foodies across the pond ;D your blog is great!!! come visit me at www.snackingonsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bakewell muffins! Awesome. I love marzipan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for introducing me to VeganMoFO Caroline! I wouldn't have known about it without you. I love the sound of the Bakewell Muffins - there are going to be so many things to make in October, I think I shall have to move up a notch on my belt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bakewells!!! These sound sooooo good! we are coming up to manchester at the end of the month so maybe we could meet up for a coffee? Hope you are great! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe