Honeycomb



For day of two of the week of sweet making I thought I'd have a go at something I haven't tried before - honeycomb! Incidentally  I noticed recently that Sainsburys sell little bags of honeycomb pieces in their cake decorating section that are vegan friendly. The recipe I used is this Lorraine Pascale one from the BBC Website. I just had to sub margarine for butter.


I must say it wasn't 100% successful. It did set but it was more of a toffee than a honeycomb although a nice tasting toffee at that. I think I didn't have the heat up high enough and I couldn't resist stirring a few times so I think it's likely to be my fault not that of the recipe. Oh well, it's an excuse to have another go!


Comments

  1. Yeah that still looks good to me too!

    In case you want to try again, Nigella's hokey pokey recipe is vegan and I tried it, it works. It doesn't have butter in, maybe that's where it went wrong? Hers is just syrup, sugar and bicarb if I remember rightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sal. I will check that one out. This one looked liked honeycomb but set as chewy toffee so wondered if that was down to the margarine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this before! I'm fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks tasty to me. I use to love honeycomb and will have to try and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspired me to give it a go. Mine is crispy but has a slightly odd after taste, probably need to adjust the bicarbonate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh- thanks for the tip on Sainsburys. I'd love to give homemade honeycomb a go though - did you have a thermometer or did you do it by eye?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't ask for a thermometer just said to put the bicarb in after 5 minutes of boiling it. I've just bought a thermometer so should give it a go with that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i make it quite a lot (or used to before dissertations swallowed my life) and its a really unpredicatable thing to make - my recipe is syrup, sugar bicarb & marg i think - when it isnt so good (and sometimes when it is) its lovely crushed up and added to cake batter, makes a toffee sauce, think it goes especially well with peanut butter frosting x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe