Violet Creams



I really like rose and violet fondant creams but I've yet to find some that I'm 100% sure are vegan. Hotel Chocolat sell them but list them as vegetarian rather than vegan although I can't see anything on the ingredients list to make them non vegan, possibly whatever is the red colouring in the rose ones..  Anyway I was really pleased when I spotted an easy recipe for Floral Cremes in my copy of The Vintage Tea Party Book. This is a lovely book that is beautifully illustrated. Whilst it's not a vegan recipe book there's stuff in there that is vegan friendly such as the Whisky Marmalade and brilliant Chocolate Granola I made for Christmas presents last year and lots of styling ideas.


It gave me an excuse to buy this which I'm looking forward to trying in fizz and lemonade too.



I remembered to Americanize them too so here's the recipe with cups. These were really easy and came out great. I ended up adding a bit more icing sugar but I think that's something you'd play around with depending on the kind of syrup you use.


Floral Creams
Taken from The Vintage Tea Party Book by Angel Adoree

45ml / 1.5 fl oz/ 2 tablespoons of soya cream
a few drops of food colouring (optional - I didn't use any for these as the syrup was coloured)
45ml / 1.5 fl oz/ 2 tablespoons of violet syrup (or your choice of syrup - lavender, rose, mint etc)
275g / 9.5oz / 2 cups of icing sugar
100g (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil

Mix the cream and syrup and food colouring if using. Sift int he icing sugar and stir to combine.

Dust a clean surface with icing sugar and knead the mixture until you have a firm ball of dough.

Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour.

Remove from the fridge. Divide into 20 teaspoon sized lumps and roll into balls.

Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. When its melted stir in the sunflower oil, remove from the heat and leave for 10 minutes.

Line a baking tray with non stick paper. Dip the fondant balls halfway into the melted chocolate and place on the non stick paper to set.

Serve as they are or in individual petit-four cases.

Comments

  1. I worked at Hotel Choc for 2 years and yes I think the colouring in them is the problem! Which is why I never got to try those ones! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Kayleigh. The other brand I found was Beeches and I know when I googled the ingredients in those the Rose colouring was definitely a no no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, fancypants! I'd love to have an arvo tea and make some of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh pretty! I love fancy chocolates like those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really don't need an excuse to buy more monin syrups but this is a pretty good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More awesome sweet making. I've had violette on my mind since a friend told me about a cocktail called the aviation - I bet you could make with it violette syrup.

    these remind me of peppermint creams we used to make as a kid - how cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe