Raspberry Biscuits Revamped

A few weeks ago I was looking in a kitchen cupboard at my mum's house and to my surprise I found this! It's my notebook from after school cookery club at Primary school. There was also two other of my childhood books - a sweet making book and one with nursery rhymes and recipes that go with them by the Milk Marketing Board! Flicking through this little orange notebook I can remember the excitement of making the recipes they contained. It also made me laugh how many of the recipes contained lard! This was the 1970's remember.


I've decided to have a go at veganising and de-larding some of the recipes and I thought I'd start with Raspberry Buns. My new version with the altered ingredients gives more of a biscuit than a bun and also more of a pronounced coconut flavour but these were oh so good and the revamped recipe is definitely a keeper. It's also like the original a nice easy one for kids to make and would be equally at home as part of an afternoon tea.


Raspberry Biscuits

Makes 10

Ingredients

100g of self raising flour
Pinch of salt
50g of coconut oil (melted in a pan)
50g of caster sugar
2 tablespoons of soya milk
Raspberry jam


Heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C.

Grease a baking tray or line with a silcone mat.

Place the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and stir together. Add the melted coconut oil and soya milk and stir together to make a stiff dough.

Divide into 10 balls and place on a baking tray. Flatten with you hand and then press your thumb into the centre of each biscuit. Place a little raspberry jam in the dent.

Bake for 15 minutes.


Comments

  1. I know these as Thumbprint Cookies. Will have to make them with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like them Tams and that all is well with you guys x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great - much better without the lard! I also remember learning to cook with those milk marketing board books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember making these when I was a child! Great idea. I'm putting aside all good recipes at the moment for when my innards improve. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you found this and that you veganised a recipe - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe