Vegan Mofo Day 30 - Fusion Challenge! Black Forest Cinnamon Style Rolls


It's a bit of cheat today as I'm re-blogging something from last year's Mofo but I'm time short and it seemed to fit well with the prompt. Here we have a recipe that's a fusion of baked goods - there's the flavours of the German Black Forest Gateaux teamed with an American style Cinnamon roll (minus the cinnamon). To further add to the fusion I would recommend serving these with a pot of good old British tea rather than coffee!

I based my recipe on this Easy Cinnamon Roll recipe from Minimalist Baker.

 Ingredients
1 packet of instant yeast
1 cup of soya milk
1/2 a cup of vegan margarine + 3 tablespoons
1/4 teaspooon of salt
3 cups of plain flour
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar (I used Coconom coconut sugar)
50g of dark chocolate
50g of dried cherries, chopped in half
Seeds from inside a vanilla pod
Black Forest Chocolate Icing Sugar from Sugar and Crumbs

Heat the milk and half a cup of margarine together until melted. Let it cool until just warm and pour into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle on the yeast and leave for a few minutes. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar and the salt and stir. Mix in the flour half a cup at a time. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Wash out the bowl, grease it with sunflower oil, put the dough back in and cover with clingfilm.


Leave the dough to rise for an hour, it will double in size. Then roll it out to form a thin rectangle. Melt 3 tablespoons of margarine in a pan and stir in the vanilla seeds.


Brush some of the margarine and vanilla mixture over the surface of the dough and sprinkle with the coconut sugar. Then scatter the chopped chocolate and dried cherries over the surface. Roll the dough up into a long sausage shape and then use a serrated knife to cut it into 10 rolls.


Brush the rolls with the remaining margarine and vanilla mixture. Pop these into a pre-heated oven of 180C/ 350F for 25-30 minutes. Don't worry if there's a bit of space around the rolls are you can see these filled out and filled the whole dish during cooking.


I let them cool then I made a simple icing using the Black Forest Chocolate icing sugar and cold water and then simply drizzled this over the rolls as a glaze.

Enjoy with a pot of tea!
I have loved this year's Mofo. It's definitely been one of my favourites and I'm so glad I decided to join in despite not signing up to the blog roll. I've found some great new to me blogs and had so much inspiration. Thank you to everyone who has read my posts and left comments, it means a lot.

Comments

  1. This puts together two of my favourite things. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have been meaning to make cinnamon rolls for a while but this settles it. Black forest gateau is one of my favourites (pretty sure I had some as part of my wedding cake!) sooo I kind of have to make these.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, in your wedding cake! What an excellent idea :)

      Delete
  3. These are my dad's favorite sweets -literally- rolled into one! I have to make this for him! Weird the Mofo is over but it's been great getting to know you over the month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope he likes them. Great discovering your blog too :)

      Delete
  4. I'm really glad you participated and stuck with your theme as much as possible! I kind of wish it were possible to keep up this intensity of posting, but it really isn't. It's just been great to read so many vegan blogs and, like you said, be inspired by them.

    And I'm certainly inspired by these rolls. Such a creative idea, and they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great & I love your tea pot! I'm so glad you joined in on this year's MoFo, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and great to discover your blog too. The teapot was actually a charity shop find!

      Delete
  6. OMG! You really out did yourself with these! YUMMO! I added you to the Off Season Blog Roll, too! Thanks so much! So glad we 'met' this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound amazing. I am humbled to have discovered your lovely blog and assure you that even though I am not vegan, I will still def. come by.
    ps I am dithering with todays post too, not that i am short of ideas, just out of energy now, and its a shame as its the last day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely I'd enjoy these with a cup of tea! Cherries + chocolate = happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cinnamon rolls and I love black forest cake, I never would have thought to combine them though. That's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an amazing idea, I love it!! Congratulations on your MoFo, it's been great 'meeting' and following you :) What a month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant idea! These look soo good. I love yeasted doughs with sweet things...I think I'll have to make these for the holidays.

    It's been wonderful getting to know you from MoFo. I will keep reading future posts...hope there's lots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cor blimey, they look good. I don't like cherries mind you, but I'd swap them for white chocolate drops I think. I have to be careful eats-wise at present, but I'm very keen to try it when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look amazing! That's a fusion dish I can deal with! I'm so glad we discovered each other!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just had to stop by for another look at these bad boys! LOL Gosh they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. MidWeek Munchies is UP! Swing by and check it out! Would love for you to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, I'm not going to make mid week munchies but I've got a post up for the Pick 3 and will definitely do the Halloween prompt :)

      Delete
  16. holy decadence, batman, these sound amazing. I love the chocolate+cherry combo, but I especially love it in baked goods. It's fun to play around with alternative fillings for cinnamon rolls, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe