Vegan Mofo Day 9 - Most Retro Recipe - Vegan Ginger Snaps


You might have seen my recent post about finding my notebook from Primary School cookery club at my mum's house recently.


 I decided to have a go at veganising some of the recipes and started with Raspberry Buns. Next up was Ginger Snaps. These were another winner with the resulting biscuits having a proper ginger biscuit crunch to them. I like a crumbly cookie but sometimes you can't beat a proper hard English style biscuit. The texture made them an excellent biscuit for dunking in a brew.


Ginger Snaps
Makes 10 biscuits

Ingredients
25g coconut oil
50g date syrup
25g soft brown sugar
75g Self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoons of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Set the oven at 350F/ 180C
Grease a baking tray or line with a silpat mat.
Put the coconut oil in a pan.
Put the soft brown sugar in the scales and leave there. Measure the syrup on top of the sugar.
Add the sugar and syrup to the pan with the oil and stir over a low heat until the mixture until the mixture is melted and combined.
Put the flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a bowl and mix.
Poured the melted mixture onto the flour mixture and mix til it makes a dough.
Leave it to cool for half an hour.
Split into 10 pieces and roll them into balls. Spread them out on a baking tray and flatten with a knife.
Cook for 15 minutes or until a dark golden brown.
Cool on a cooling rack until cold and crisp.

Comments

  1. I love ginger snaps so much! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I used to make ginger snaps all the time. I had a recipe from school too haha. Been meaning to veganise it but I guess you just did my work for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Ginger snaps sound great! Nice post! And Retro connection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've had a ginger snap since I became vegan. I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ginger snaps, but haven't had any in ages! Your recipe looks great; I'll be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginger snaps are the best! I like that you used date syrup in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fallen a bit in love with date syrup. I had a bottle in my pantry for ages and didn't know what to do with it. I've used it in these and a chocolate and courgette muffin recipe also on the blog and the taste is fab I think especially when paired with coconut oil.

      Delete
  7. I have a bit of a soft spot for ginger snaps - partly from making them when I was a kid, and partly because they generally seem to be a good vegan friendly biscuit! I like the additional of date syrup in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ginger snaps! So retro! I'm loving seeing what everyone has come up with and ginger snaps are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Gingersnap! Looking forward to make it next week. Thanks for sharing. Let me also share something, I also follow one website which talks about vegan food and fitness, http://www.bodybyblasian.com/
    take care! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe