Vegan Mofo Day 27 Cherry Chia Bricher Museli


So today's Mofo prompt asks 'Was there a food you used to hate and now don't?' As I'm sticking to my breakfast theme I struggled a bit with this as I couldn't really think of any breakfast foods that I don't like, if anything I feel I am discovering new ones all the time. 2016 has definitely been 'The Year of The Breakfast' for me. But then I remembered the first time I ever heard of Bircher Museli. It was about 15 years ago and I'd gone round to my friends Robert and Corinne's house. Now this pair are fantastic cooks and know their food so when Robert was talking up this Bircher Museli that he had started making I should have known it would be great. However, the picture that popped into my head of oats soaked overnight and then eaten cold in the morning just made me think, urggh, cold porridge! Now years later and a regular overnight oats eater I am pleased to say I am a huge fan of Bircher Museli too. Basically anything that takes a few minutes prep in the evening and yields a wonderful tasty, healthy breakfast in the morning is a winner in my book.


Cherry, Chia Bircher Museli
Serves 2

Ingredients
1 cup of oats
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1/2 a cup of dried cherries
1/4 cup of flaked almonds
1 1/2 cups of plant milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Sweet Freedom/maple syrup/ agave to taste
2 grated apples (in the morning)
Yoghurt to serve (optional)

Prepare the bircher museli in the evening by stirring together the oats, chia seeds, dired cherries and almonds in a tupperware container. Add the milk and vanilla extract and stir again then place in the fridge overnight.
In the morning stir in the grated apple. Portion out into two bowls. Drizzle with the sweetener of your choice and add a little more plant milk / yoghurt to taste.

Are you a fan of overnight oats or bircher museli? What add ins do you like?

Comments

  1. This sounds great! I love cherries and almonds together. I am more of a savory breakfast gal, but sometimes I like to switch things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely more of a sweet breakfast person though I have loved the pudlas I've made. I think I need to explore savoury oatmeals next.

      Delete
  2. I also found overnight oats a bit disgusting when I first heard of the concept. It's definitely won me over now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Can't believe it took me so long to come round to it!

      Delete
  3. I used to really not like museli or granola - I remember it tasting a bit dusty when I tried it as kids - but I was sick the other week and all I wanted to eat was granola, weirdly enough. Now I'm a bit of a fan! I love the sounds of chia and cherry together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny but I know what you mean about childhood museli being dusty, especially Alpen!

      Delete
  4. I love overnight oats and bircher muesli. If I try all sorts of different recipes and combinations, but if I am just doing it myself I will do peanut butter, sultanas and nuts, or maybe a yoghurt and fruit version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, peanut butter is a great idea. I usually only put that in porridge so will have to try it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe